I-Tip extension, known also as micro bead extension, cold fusion, is a pre-tipped variety of hair extension that uses a cold method to connect the piece. This process involves a hook or loop tool, micro tube (micro bead) and hair extension pliers.
Things you’ll need:
- Part the hair into horizontal sections. Grasp the top layer of hair and pull upward. Secure this section of hair with a clip, giving access to the strands underneath. The lower section should begin where you wish to install the extension.
- Insert the pulling needle or hook through the I-tip tube. The tube will sit on the lower section of the needle, exposing hooked end.
- Grab a section of the hair where the first extension will attach. The section should be small enough to fit through the tube effortlessly.
- Hook the needle onto the hair near the upper region of the strands, approximately one inch from the scalp.
- Pull the needle toward you while securing the tube with your fingers. This will slide the section of hair through the tube.
- Grasp the tube with your fingers, holding it in place approximately 1/2 to 1 inch from the scalp.
- Push the extension upward into the tube. Set the solid or tipped end into the bottom of the tube. Push the extension up toward the scalp. The tube now grips together a small section of natural hair and the extension at the same time.
- Squeeze the tube with extension pliers to flatten the bottom end, the end away from the scalp. This flattening process secures the extension, fusing it to the natural hair.
- Wash hair with a deep clean/clarifying shampoo (NO CONDITIONER IS TO BE APPLIED TO THE HAIR)
- Dry hair so it’s completely dry ensuring root area has no moisture or residue.
- Section off a thin amount of hair so not too much hair covers the adhesive section of the tape. Remember to not to cover the ends of the tape in hair.
- Place the tape extension sticky side up to the underside of the sectioned off hair. Bring the hair down and stick it to the first piece of tape.
NOTE… too much hair covering the adhesive tape at this point will not allow the adhesive tape of the two pieces to successfully bond together causing early failure. You must have sufficient adhesive tape available for the second piece of tape extension to bond to, too much hair covering the first piece will not allow for a good bond between the two pieces of adhesion tape. As a guide you must be able to feel a little tack / stickiness if you touch it with your finger tip. Too little hair can cause the hair to break off near the scalp; too much hair over the tape section will not allow the adhesive tape to bond together and cause them to fall out very quickly. If you take one of the tape extensions and divide the hair in half you will see this is about the optimum amount of hair required for a good bond.
- Align the two pieces of tape hair and place together and firmly press together.
- Comb through gently to blend in with natural hair with a wide toothed comb.
PLEASE NOTE: THEY MUST BE APPLIED TO WASHED, DRY UNCONDITIONED HAIR. DO NOT WASH OR WET YOUR HAIR FOR A MINIUMUM OF THREE DAYS AFTER APPLICATION. WHEN IT’S TIME TO RE TAPE THE HAIR WE DO HAVE HIGH QUALITY DOUBLE SIDED ITALIAN MADE TAPE AVAILABLE IN OUR STORE FOR YOUR CONVENIENCE.
Use a mild shampoo and do not use any conditioner on the tape, only apply conditioner to the ends of your hair and be gentle when washing. Avoid harsh shampoos and shampoos with alot of alcohol or slippery shampoos with silicon or oils.
VERY IMPORTANT:DO NOT USE ANY PRODUCTS DIRECTLY ON THE BONDS THAT CONTAIN SILICONE, ALCOHOL, ETHANOL, OIL AND PROTEIN
There are several good application manuals on youtube.
- Start at the top area when removing the tapes
Apply solution remover to a section of tape (any bond remover spray from a beauty supply store will work or bond removing shampoo) We also sell remover on our website.
Use the tale comb to find an opening on the tape and peel open a little, then apply a little more remover to detach the tape from the hair. Do not rip open the tape it will come away with ease
If there is any residue you can also use a detangle lotion or serum spray to remove any tangles that may have built up
- Repeat to all sections
- If reusing the same hair to re apply then wash the tapes and hair in a bundle using the hair extensions shampoo to wash/condition the hair area only and then use deep clean shampoo to wash the tape area
- Dry the hair and peel off any of the old tape left on. Now you’re ready to re tape the extensions for re application
- Roll out tape and place the hair weft face down to tape cut the tape around to fit. Repeat with all pieces
- They are now ready to apply again. The hair will be as good as new
- Ask if your client wants long hair every day
- Explain in detail the maintenance steps she will need to look after the extensions
- Extra care must be taken looking after tape extensions to pro long the life of the hair
- Fine hair that is very thin and weak at the roots
- Client who swim in salt water or use harsh water every day
- Clients who have lots of breakage at the roots due to illness or over processed bleached/colored hair damage